>
> All,
>
> I have arrived in Barcelona.
>
> I am happy to report that my trip was uneventful, sans dogs, racist
> little boys and misogynistic men who want to commandeer my window
> seat. I was the only one in my row and read two books and a slew of
> magazines. Regardless of the comfort of the seat, I cannot sleep on
> my back. I guess that is why I do not have a profession that requires
> me to be on my back (lmao).
>
> It was so exciting as the plane descended from the sky through a thick
> bed of clouds. The anticipation was palpable. It was a cloudy
> morning but as we descended and I saw the mountains on one side of the
> plane juxtapositioned against the water on the other side, it was a
> beautiful sight.
>
> The airport is absolutely beautiful. I have found that cities that
> host the Olympics tend to have the most state of the art airports. I
> got my luggage and proceeded to Immigration which was so
> anti-climatic. The lines were short and the guy looked at me for a
> quick second and looked through my passport and stamped it and I was
> on my way outside to get a cab. Taxis were plentiful and I jumped in
> one that took credit cards, unlike the cabs at Miami airport, where
> you have to pay cash in 2013. The hotel was about 20 minutes from the
> airport. It is located on the outskirts of Barcelona and has a
> beautiful view of the surrounding mountains.
>
> Marcia had already gone downstairs for her conference events, but her
> daughter Shahna is traveling with us, so she let me in. the room. I
> got myself together, went downstairs and looked around and then came
> upstairs to get some sleep. I told Shahna to wake me up in three
> hours. I remembered her saying to me at one point that it was time to
> get up. However, I am told that she attempted to wake me up many
> times and at one point I told her to go ahead and leave me. However,
> I have no recollection of these conversations. When I finally woke up
> after 2 p.m. in the afternoon and she recounted three conversations
> that we allegedly had, I thought this must be similar to being water
> boarded. I was so tired I would have admitted to blowing up an
> airliner or any building for that matter, just so I could get my rest.
> I finally woke up at 2:10 p.m and took a quick shower and got myself
> together. Prior to this trip, I supported the concept of torture but
> after my sleep deprivation, I think I may have to moderate my view
> somewhat. I am sure you can see from the aforementioned how this
> could be a slippery slope. As my father used to say, it's better to
> be safe than sorry.
>
> Shahna and I proceeded to walk 5 minutes to the Metro and took a train
> into the center of Barcelona, which took about 20 minutes. We came
> off at the La Rambla train exit and proceeded up the stairs from the
> subway station. By this time the clouds had dissipated and it was a
> lovely sunny afternoon. The temperature was pretty mild, probably
> high 50's and we proceeded to try to make our way to see one of
> Gaudi's works, for which there was no line, which was recommended by
> Konrad. It is called Casa Battlo. Some have said that this is
> Gaudi's masterpiece because it so perfects represents his aesthetic.
> The house is now corporately owned but is open to the public and what
> an absolute delight it is. They have hand held audio guides to make
> your visit more information and enjoyable. It took us about 1 ½
> hours to go through the house. I have attached some pictures for your
> enjoyment.
>
> It has been interesting interacting with the Spaniards. We asked
> questions in English and they answered in Spanish but we are able to
> figure it out. My lack of Spanish skills can be attributed to the
> worse Spanish teacher I had in 3rd form. After studying Spanish since
> age 3, at 13 I had the misfortune of being assigned to Ms. Silvera's
> class. She had the thickest Trinidadian accent and coupled with
> Castilian Spanish accent, one could understand that this was a recipe
> for disaster. Bad teachers can indeed destroy one's dreams. However,
> I have a wonderful app on my iPhone that has been assisting us with
> our Spanish. In any event, I hope Ms. Silvera is wondering around
> Purgatory trying to get into the pearly gates but is stuck because
> they cannot understand her accent. That is what is called poetic
> justice (lol).
>
> After our tour, we wandered along the main boulevard, which is called
> Passeig de Gracia. The street has some wonderful shopping and great
> tapas restaurants. Shahna and I stopped at one place, primarily
> because one of the offerings was Iberian ham bruschetta. I was
> channeling my $45.00 iberian ham bought at that wonderful Russian
> market in Miami, when Konrad was visiting. We had ham and cheese
> croquettes, cheese drizzled with a phenomenal balsamic vinegar and raw
> salmon with parmesan and olive oil.
>
> With out bellies full, we thought it best to go for another walk along
> La Rambla to walk off our tapas. While meandering around, we found
> this wonderful market, a picture of which is attached, which is where
> I guess people go to do their shopping, which had the freshest
> vegetables, meat, fish, fruit etc.
>
> It was then time to make our way back to the hotel. I am trying
> desperately to stay up as I do not want to wake up in the middle of
> the night. Shahna said she is tired but "DJ Next Level" has the jam
> box going with all of the latest sounds. This evening I am channeling
> "Don't Wake Me Up" by Chris Brown.
>
> Tomorrow we are off to take a half day organized tour of Barcelona,
> which includes a cable car ride. As many of you know, I suffer from
> acrophobia, which is a fear of heights However, at my age, one should
> conquer whatever fears you have, as the end is near anyway. What
> could be more spectacular than having the end in a cable car ride over
> Barcelona? Seriously, I am not ready as I cannot wait to get to
> Morroco next week for my night in the desert with the camel ride.
>
> Hope everyone is well. Have a wonderful weekend wherever you are.
>
> Besos,
>
> Liz
>
> P.S.
>
> Is it me but why do all Japanese tourists walk around with a large
> camera in hand?


Bringing back good memories of the summer of 2011. Waterboarding, Liz? You are wicked. As to Miss Silvera at least the Spanish teachers at St Hugh's were kind; the French teachers were elitist and evil. Joy and I tried for the cable ride but kept missing the scheduled lifts. Gaudi park and church will leave you with your mouth open. Missing you today with all the pomp and circumstance in DC. Got better inauguration tickets than we had 4 years ago but elected to watch from my bed today. Audrey, Myrtle, Tiffany and her parents are all on the Mall. I am resting up for the ball tonight.
ReplyDelete